Major changes that were made:
- The pink wall to wall carpet was replaced with hand scraped laminate wood floors.
- The cabinets and counter top were painted white.
- The upper cabinet doors were removed.
- The lighting was replaced.
- The walls were painted with Grey Opal paint from Valspar
I love the transition from the living room into the dining room we had the flooring and the paint color continue in both rooms.
One note, we got a roomba for cleaning the floor. Dark floors and a house full of kids and pets means that the floors always have crumbs or hair on them and I am not a fan of that. Programed to run each night, the roomba is a real lifesaver. The roomba cleans the kitchen, dining room, and living room floor; then returns to the dock to charge. I love waking up to a clean floor.
Cabinet Painting Tips:
- Use liquid sander and rub down the entire cabinet to get the gloss off.
- Prime the cabinets with a good primer.
- Paint. I used a cabinet kitchen and bath enamel paint in Ultra Bright White.
I recommend using a paint sprayer for the best results. You get a nice even finish and in less time. For the rest of the cabinet I used a high density cabinet roller, it did the job well it just took several coats.