|We started with this yellow and grey striped sweater. Jude loved it so much I asked him if he should just wear it as is… he laughed and said no mom it’s too loose… I was afraid to move forward due to what happened last time he thought something was too loose…(read the story at the end HERE) Still I thought I would try and make him happy.|
|To start I made a basic raglan sleeve shirt pattern. Like I did with the pocket full of posies shirt, but no ruffle this time. You start by lining the sleeve up along the straight edge of the paper, (again I like using freezer paper, but butcher paper or any other paper on a long roll will work great) See how the sleeve is along the edge all the way to the collar.|
|Then fold the shirt over so there is an angle from the armpit to the neck line.|
|then trace the neckline and down the angle, when you get to the armpit you will have fold the flap of the shirt over so you can trace down the arm.|
|Then for the bodice piece. fold your shirt in half as shown above, sleeves together.
(by the way the drawing you see is what the sleeve pattern looks like drawn out)
|Then with the shirt still folded take both sleeves and fold them down on the shirt, so there is a slanted angle from the collar to the arm pit.|
|Line the fold up to the edge, and trace the collar and angle down to the armpit. make sure the shirt is laying flat and then trace the armpit and down the side of the shirt.
Cut 2 each of the sleeve and bodice both on fold.
|Start by sewing right sides together the sleeve to the bodice along the angle.
You will sew the sleeves to both sides of the back piece, but then only one side of the front bodice piece.
|With the other side of the bodice piece and sleeve piece instead of sewing them together, fold the rectangle in half and sew one to each side.|
|Lastly I sewed the ribbing from the old sweater around the neckline starting and stopping at the opening.|
|Now the shirt is basically done. It’s just all about the details…|
|I added snaps on the inside of the neck flap. I made them so you can’t see them (sorry no actual picture of them) You could do buttons if you wanted.|
|Lastly the monster, I did a search on the internet with Jude and we found a monster we both liked (it took a while but he feels like he picked it out) I sketched it out and cut it out of some felt.|
|Using embroidery floss again I stitched around the monster and added a button for the eye.|