So last year I played along in Me Sew Crazy’s pattern remix series. It was a lot of fun and if you have been around that long you may remember that I re-mixed one of my own patterns, and I shared a free pattern for my remix The Black Bird Tunic. Sadly Abbey out grew the tunic from last year… you know how that happens. So I though it was time to make a new one, since it is my favorite top. So I did. I wish I could say I will share the new larger sized pattern… but I didn’t really make one… I followed the tutorial from the original to make a pattern for the neck piece even though I made the neck a little more oblong than circular this time… Since I wanted it to be a nice and thick neckline but not hanging over her shoulders it comes to a little more of a rounded point in front and back.
The other thing I did, was I just kind of winged the skirt part. I knew I wanted it wider than the last so there would be a nice tight gather and the top would be full. So I cut it several inches over from the edge instead of just an inch or two like the first tutorial.
Last things I did different this time, was I finished the arm opening with bias tape sandwiched around the fabric instead of the piping. And I decided to simply serge the bottom edge and leave it at that instead of hemming, I liked the contrast.
That’s really all there was to it and now she has another top that she can out grow 🙂 And since it is another black bird tunic but with a nice red belly I thought Robin was a suitable name.
And a happy girl, who I happen to love in red. Shorts by the way are from this pattern.