Today I have a little hack for the McCartney Jacket. Because after making 2 for my sister following the pattern, I was ready to mix things up a little. I decided to change the pattern ever so slightly and add a shoulder detail that I almost added to the pattern, but decided not to at the last min. Don’t worry though if you love it, it’s super easy to do.
So the changes… I added length to the bodice. I simply measured from my underarm down to decide how long I wanted it and then made the pattern piece that length from the underarm down. Then I skipped the band along the bottom so I moved the zipper down to the bottom (and yes that means a longer zipper) For the sleeves I also left the cuffs off, I simply lengthened the sleeves a little to make up for the missing cuffs. Then I tapered the sleeve side pieces a little more so the sleeves would taper towards my wrist. I did this because the cuffs wouldn’t bring it in and I wanted a fitted wrist. I also moved the welt pocket down since I lengthened the jacket. Super easy and it resulted in a different look and style, which I love.
For the shoulder detail I simply cut out the shape for the front bodice so it matched the shoulder, and then angled how I wanted it.
I hemmed it with a strip of leather. Then stitched it in place and sewed the jacket as usual. I used this amazing wool I have been hoarding for a while and finally got brave enough to cut, and I love the wool and leather together. It gave the jacket a classy feel.
I still love the “sporty” like feel of the jacket but now I am so ready for winter with a jacket that can be dressed up or down.
For more great looks from the Collection check out the blogger style hop from yesterday. These ladies did an amazing job!